Search This Blog

22 June 2022

Metamorphosis - Junk Mail to Art Journal

You know those little booklets that you sometimes get in the post?  The mini supermarket catalogues, or the insurance policy booklet that you'll never look at again?  Well, I've been keeping a few aside with the intention of turning them into art journals.  

I started with the cover and I love how it turned out!





  • To start I put down a layer of Pearl Diamond White acrylic paint.
  • It was quite transparent so I went over it roughly with Titanium White acrylic paint, leaving some areas of the pearl white exposed.
  • When it was dry I added patches of Mermaid Lagoon and Ripe Persimmon Distress Stain, and Turquoise iridescent acrylic paint, which I blended out with a brush.
  • I stamped small circles of various sizes and with various line patterns in teal ink in a cluster toward the bottom left and top right of the page.
  • Then I used a paisley and script stamp with black ink to add some additional texture to the background.  To avoid a really bold stamp I used second and third generation stamping.
  • I added gold glitter paste through a stencil with small circles randomly across the page.
  • For the focal point I chose a printout of a turquoise butterfly that I thought matched the background a bit.  The image had gold areas, which I went over with gold glitter glue for added interest.
  • I placed the butterfly at the centre and traced around it with a black gel pen.  I then used a damp brush to soften the outline - making it more of a shadow.
  • I stamped the word "metamorphosis" onto plain white card, cut it out and then positioned it in the bottom right corner of the page.
  • And that was the page done!
These booklets tend to have decent quality paper and it took the paints well.  I think that starting with acrylic paint as the base layer also helped.  

The underlying print adds some extra interest to the page.  The paint layers are not completely opaque so although you can't see it clearly, the light and dark areas of the original print do show through in places.

I thought that the phrase "metamorphosis" was very apt as it not only described the process by which a caterpillar turns into a butterfly, but also the transformation of the booklet into an art journal.

So next time you get a junk booklet in the mail, don't throw it out. Turn it into an art journal instead!


SUPPLIES

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. It iss always lovely to hear from you. ☺